What Should I Check if My Heater Isn’t Working?
Even though you don’t use your heating system every day, you will notice there’s a problem immediately if it isn’t working the way that it should. Even a few hours without a properly functioning heater can leave you shivering, which is why you want to schedule a heating repair as quickly as possible. However, if you find yourself in need of heater repair, you likely want to know what the problem is and what needs to be done to get your heating system up and running again. There are a few things that you can keep in mind to help you identify any problems with your heating system so you can get the repairs that you need.
How Do You Troubleshoot a Heating Problem?
There are a few things that you can look for if your heating system isn’t operating the way that it should be. One of the first things to check is the air filter in your HVAC system. A dirty air filter can keep your heating system from running the same way that it can keep your air conditioning system from operating effectively. This is why one of the first things to do if you have a heating system that isn’t blowing a large amount of air or one that isn’t blowing warm enough air is to check the air filter in your home.
Another thing to do is check the breakers connected to your HVAC system. The breakers connected to your HVAC system can switch on and off with surges in power, and you may not even notice that this has happened until you have a heating system that isn’t running. Likewise, it is always a good idea to check the thermostat connected to your heating system to ensure that it is set up properly. Even a slight issue with the settings on your thermostat can keep your heating system from functioning.
If you have checked all of these things and your heating system still isn’t operational, it might be time to call in a professional for heater repair. But there is no need to stress! Many of the most common problems with heating systems can be taken care of quickly, so you can get your heating system up and running again without too much trouble.
What are the Most Common Furnace Problems?
If you have a furnace in your home, you will experience different issues with your HVAC system than those who have other types of heating systems. Because of this, it is a good idea to know what some of the most common problems are that can occur with a furnace. Some of the most common furnace problems include:
- Damaged ductwork: Damaged ductwork in furnaces can lead to various issues and should be addressed promptly. Cracks, holes, or disconnected sections of ductwork can result in air leaks and other issues, reducing the efficiency of your heating system.
- Broken blowers: Broken blowers in furnaces can cause significant disruptions to the heating system’s functionality. A malfunctioning blower can result in insufficient airflow, or even a complete lack of air coming through your system.
- Damaged heat exchangers: A broken heat exchanger can impair the furnace’s ability to move heat efficiently through your system, resulting in decreased heating performance and potentially higher energy costs. Additionally, it can lead to potential safety issues.
- Pilot light or electrical ignition failure: Ignition failure will prevent the heating system from producing heat altogether. It typically occurs due to issues with the ignition system, such as a malfunctioning pilot light
- Problems with fuel supply: An improper fuel supply can result in incomplete combustion, increased emissions, and potential safety hazards. Timely inspection and maintenance of the fuel supply system by a professional are crucial to ensure proper fuel delivery and the safe operation of the furnace.
- Broken gas valve: A broken gas valve in a furnace can have serious implications for both safety and functionality. The gas valve is responsible for controlling the flow of gas into the furnace for combustion. If it is broken or malfunctioning, it can lead to gas leaks, which are dangerous on their own and can potentially cause a fire in your home.
These are just some of the issues that can arise with a furnace. It is always important to reach out to an HVAC professional that has plenty of experience in working with furnaces if you are experiencing any problems with your system and are in need of help getting things up and running again.
Pro Air Heating Cooling and Electrical can provide the assistance you need when you are seeking heater repair in Downers Grove, IL. If you would like to schedule your service, call our team today at 630-641-5489.